Allergies are among the most common health problems, generally, more common in children. However, the onset of allergies can begin at any age. Allergy symptoms vary widely from patient to patient, and so does the treatment that is available for those symptoms. At Knoxville Hospital Clinic, we work to create individualized treatment plans, beginning with a physical exam and extensive interview about your symptoms and history. Our goal through a treatment plan is to first provide patients relief from symptoms.
If warranted, the doctor may order diagnostic testing to help determine the best care plan for your unique situation. Following any testing, you will meet with your doctor to review the results and receive recommendations for care and treatment.
The Knoxville Hospital Clinic allergy program is overseen by Dr. Michael Van Natta. To make an appointment to see Dr. Van Natta, call 641-842-7006.
Listen to our radio commercial to learn more about our exceptional allergy services and clinic.
Our team uses the latest technology to evaluate and treat all allergic conditions in adults and children, including:
- Allergic Conjunctivitis (eye allergies)
- Allergic Rhinitis (hay fever)
- Allergic skin disorders (rashes, hives, eczema, swelling and contact dermatitis)
- Atopic Dermatitis (eczema)
- Chronic sinus problems
- Contact dermatitis (allergic rash)
- Drug allergies (antibiotics, local anesthetics, etc.)
- Food allergies
- Latex allergy
- Penicillin allergy
- Urticaria (hives)
Our comprehensive allergy testing detects your specific allergies, from which an individualized treatment plan is created. Our testing options include:
- Intradermal testing
- Blood testing
Many options exist for treating allergies. Common treatments include:
- Avoidance/environmental control of allergens
- If the symptoms are mild or occasional, then antihistamines or nasal sprays may be all that is needed.
- Immunotherapy vaccine (weekly injections or sublingual drops)
Depending on your symptoms, sensitivities and severity, you may need to employ one or more these therapies. We will work with you to develop a specific treatment regimen that suits your individual needs.
Teresa Glesener, RN, with the Knoxville Hospital Clinic holds allergy clinics on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for patients receiving immunotherapy vaccine injections.