Knoxville Hospital & Clinics’ Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
There is no worse feeling than being short of breath. Knoxville Hospital & Clinics’ Pulmonary Rehabilitation (Rehab) program is designed to slow down and minimize progression of the symptoms of lung disease.
Our goal is to help patients break the debilitating cycle of lung disease, so they can breathe easier, and lead full, satisfying lives to their highest functional capacity.
The program lasts up to 12 sessions (6 weeks) with an end goal of living an independent lifestyle, even with a respiratory condition.
Some patients continue the program on a maintenance basis to sustain their long-term progress.
Take a listen to our radio commercial to learn how the Pulmonary Rehab Program benefits people living with COPD
Who benefits from pulmonary rehabilitation?
Pulmonary rehab is for people with chronic lung diseases, such as:
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung cancer and lung cancer surgery
- Pre/Post lung transplant
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary hypertension
What can patients expect?
Pulmonary rehab can help improve your quality of life.
Although pulmonary rehabilitation can’t cure your lung disease, there are many benefits:
- Improved breathing and less breathing problems
- Boosted energy levels, and improved strength and endurance
- Greater independence and ability to function better in your daily life
- Better diet, nutrition and weight management
- Greater knowledge of oxygen equipment and medications
- Less use of oxygen and medications
- Increased knowledge about pulmonary disease and its management
- Reduced stress and tension, which helps with depression and anxiety
- Improved self-image, self-confidence
- Improved ability to return to work and leisure activities
What’s included in the pulmonary rehab program?
Staff use a holistic and patient-centered approach to care considering your functional ability, health, and emotional needs. It starts with a consultation and evaluation with our pulmonary rehab specialist to see if the program is right for you.Once you join, you will receive an individualized care plan that’s right for you.
Services may include:
- Airway clearance techniques
- Breathing re-training
- Education about chronic lung diseases
- Education about emotional issues such as depression, panic attack, anxiety, and stress management
- Energy conservation techniques
- Home exercise program
- Medication information (usage, doses, side eff ects, delivery techniques)
- Monitored conditioning exercise, which is essential for improving the function of your heart and lungs, and to strengthen the muscles used for breathing
- Nutritional support and weight management
- Pulmonary function test
- Support to stop smoking
How can I join the pulmonary rehab program?
If you have a diagnosis of chronic lung disease and have ongoing breathing and quality-of-life issues, you will likely benefit from joining the program. You can be referred to our program by your primary care provider or another healthcare professional. Our staff will contact you to set up an appointment once we receive the referral.
Medicare and most private insurance companies cover a major percentage of the cost of pulmonary rehab. Percentages of reimbursement vary; please check with your insurance carrier to verify coverage. If needed, financial arrangements can be made at the Knoxville Hospital & Clinics’ Business Office.
View or download a copy of our brochure.
If you need assistance scheduling an appointment with a referring physician or have questions about the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program, please call Julie Waltenberger, Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Director, at (641) 842-1558.
Physician referrals may be faxed to: (641) 842-1478.