The Cancer Risk
How widespread is the risk of cancer in the United States?
- For males, the risk of developing cancer in their lifetime is 39.66% or 1 in 3. The most common type of cancer for men is prostate cancer. The risk of dying from cancer is 1 in 5.
- For females, the risk of developing cancer is 37.65% or 1 in 3. The most common type of cancer for women is breast cancer. The risk of dying from cancer is 1 in 5.
Causes of Cancer
Some types of cancer run in certain families, but most cancers are not clearly linked to the genes we inherit from our parents. The most common causes of cancer have been linked to smoking and tobacco, diet, physical activity, sun and other types of radiation, workplace or household exposure to carcinogens, viruses, and other infections.
The Knoxville Hospital & Clinics’ (KHC) Difference
Exceptional cancer care, close to home
Where you receive cancer-related care may be as important as the treatment you receive. When choosing the best healthcare center, not only are you looking for the most sophisticated treatments, technology, and medicines, but local access to expert doctors, a wide range of services, and compassionate medical professionals who care for your body, mind, and spirit.
Many people are surprised to learn they have access to comprehensive cancer care in Marion County, right here in their backyard — at Knoxville Hospital & Clinics.
KHC provides the most advanced medical expertise and technologies in an environment that focuses on humanity, compassion, and exceptional healthcare.
Listed below are the patient-centered, cancer-related services available at our medical home in Knoxville — from early detection and prevention to diagnostic testing to infusion therapies and surgery to support during and following treatment.
In addition to these services, our partnership with Medical Oncology and Hematology Associates of Iowa allow us to provide patients with access to a full continuum of other specialized cancer and blood disorder services when needed.
KHC’s Cancer Program
KHC offers a comprehensive cancer program from early detection to treatment to surgery and more. Learn more about our program by viewing or downloading our Cancer Program brochure.
Early Detection and Prevention
Cancer screenings are examinations or medical tests performed when you’re healthy, with no signs of illness. They help find cancer early, when chances for successfully treating the disease are greatest.
- Colorectal cancer screening exam (colonoscopy)
- Clinical breast exam
- Digital mammography
- Clinical pelvic exam and pap test
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) testing and vaccine
- Skin cancer screening exam
- Prostate cancer screening exams
- Low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) for lung cancer
- Biopsy and diagnostic pathology
- Diagnostic imaging (MRI, CT, Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine)
- Laboratory testing
Chemotherapy & Infusion Center
Our center is staffed by registered nurses who have specialized training in administering chemotherapy and other infusion treatments.
- Pre-medications (e.g., anti-nausea, anti-inflammatory)
- Chemotherapy medications
- IV antibiotic therapy
- IV immune globulin
- Hydration therapy
- Anti-rejection medication
- Transfusion of blood products
- Procuring specimens for lab testing
Surgery-related services include:
- Surgical cancer tumor/cells removal
- Reconstructive/plastic surgery
- Pain management injection therapy
- Post-surgical hospital care
Ancillary Services and Support
- Nutritional counseling and support
- Financial Assistance Program counseling
- Case management
- Hospice (hospitalized end-of-life care)
- Physical/occupational therapy (Lymphedema treatment)
- Wound care (post-surgical/radiation-related care)
- Interpreter services
Access to Care
Patients often enter our care at different stages of life or stage of their disease. You may be interested in getting a preventive colonoscopy or are looking for a place close to home to receive your chemotherapy treatments.
You may already be a patient of our healthcare system, you may see a doctor outside of our system or this may be your first time visiting us. It doesn’t matter. Everyone is welcome. We are here to help you navigate our services.
Just call (641) 842-7211 and we will help you get started.