KNOXVILLE – Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) Analytics announced that Knoxville Hospital & Clinics has achieved Stage 6 on the EMR (Electronic Medical Record) Cerner CommunityWorks Model. As of the end of April, of the 84 Critical Access Hospitals (CAH) using this model, only 24 have achieved HIMSS Stage 6 – KHC is the first Cerner hospital in Iowa.
HIMSS Analytics developed the EMR Adoption Model in 2005 as a methodology for evaluating the progress and impact of electronic medical record systems for hospitals in the HIMSS Analytics™ Database. Tracking their progress in completing eight stages (0-7), hospitals can review the implementation and utilization of information technology applications with the intent of reaching Stage 7, which represents a fully paperless EMR environment.
“Receiving recognition of our efforts in using technology to provide even better care for our patients is very exciting,” said Kevin Kincaid, Chief Executive Officer at KHC. “The HIMSS Stage 6 designation reflects our commitment to the highest levels of patient safety and quality care in our electronic medical record adoption.”
As a Stage 6 hospital, KHC:
- Has made significant executive commitments and investments to reach this stage.
- Appears to have a significant advantage over competitors for patient safety, clinician support, clinician recruitment, and competitive marketing for both consumers and nurse recruitment.
- Has almost fully automated/paperless medical records when they have implemented their IT applications across most of the inpatient care settings.
- Is either starting to evaluate their data for care delivery process improvements or have already documented significant improvements in this area.
- Has made investments that are within reach of most hospitals and recognize the strategic value of improving patient care with the EMR.
- Has begun to create strategic alignments with their medical staff to effectively utilize information technology to improve the patient safety environment
- Is well positioned to provide data to key stakeholders, such as payers, the government, physicians, consumers, and employers, to support electronic health record environments and health information exchanges.
Stage 6 hospitals also have achieved a significant advancement in their IT capabilities that positions them to successfully address many of the current industry transformations, such as meaningful use criteria in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, claims attachments for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, pay for performance, and government quality reporting programs.
KHC joins the company of 30 other Stage 6 hospitals that are regarded as some of the best health systems Iowa has to offer.
“We take great pride in this accomplishment and know that this recognition by HIMSS is a testament to our physicians and staff who use our EMR and their dedication to providing the best care for our patients,” said Kincaid.
Knoxville Hospital & Clinics, a Critical Access Hospital serving Marion County and the surrounding area, is dedicated to providing personal, progressive quality health care with compassion. For more information regarding this release and other happenings at Knoxville Hospital & Clinics, call the Public Relations office at (641) 842-1418 or visit www.knoxvillehospital.org.