“Welcome to Medicare Preventive Visit” – What is it?
The Welcome to Medicare preventive visit is a one-time appointment you can choose to receive when you are new to Medicare. The aim of the visit is to promote general health and help prevent diseases.
Medicare Part B covers your one-time Welcome to Medicare preventive visit. Note that you must receive this visit within the first 12 months of your Part B enrollment.
The Welcome to Medicare Preventive Visit is not a head-to-toe physical. Rather, your healthcare provider will:
- Check your height, weight, blood pressure, body mass index (BMI), and vision
- Review your medical and social history
- Review your potential for depression and other mental health conditions
- Review your ability to function safely in the home and community
- Provide you with education, counseling, and referrals related to your risk factors and other health needs
- Give you a checklist and/or written plan with information about other preventive services you may need
This visit is also separate from the Annual Wellness Visit, which you can choose to receive once each year.
Original Medicare covers the Welcome to Medicare preventive visit at 100% of the Medicare-approved amount when you receive the service from a participating provider (includes Knoxville Hospital & Clinics). This means you pay nothing (no deductible or coinsurance). Medicare Advantage Plans are required to cover this visit without applying deductibles, co-payments, or coinsurance when you see an in-network provider and meet Medicare’s eligibility requirements for the service.
During the course of your preventive visit, your provider may discover and need to investigate or treat a new or existing problem. This additional care is considered diagnostic, meaning your provider is treating you because of certain symptoms or risk factors. Medicare may bill you for any diagnostic care you receive during a preventive visit.
It’s easy to schedule your Medicare Preventive Visit.
- Option 1: Call the Knoxville Hospital Clinic at 641-842-7211 to confirm eligibility and schedule your appointment. Be sure to have your insurance card(s) with you at the time of your call.
- Option 2: Schedule your appointment online and select a preferred appointment time that best fits your schedule. Once you have submitted your request, a member of the clinic team will contact you to set up an appointment. Our schedulers are available Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Medicare Wellness Visits at Knoxville Hospital & Clinics are a great way to do something good for yourself.
- You have quick access to appointments.
- $0 out of pocket cost. There are no co-payments or deductibles for these visits.
- We will even send a summary of your visit directly to your doctor.