The Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) is a confidential service of the State of Iowa that helps Iowans make informed decisions about Medicare and other health coverage.
SHIIP counselors can help you understand your Medicare benefits, identify and compare health insurance options, and protect you from paying too much on your medical care and prescription drugs. They provide:
- information and printed materials to persons receiving or set to receive Medicare.
- referral to other agencies.
- one-on-one health insurance counseling at no cost to you.
- Welcome to Medicare seminars.
SHIIP counselors can answer questions about:
- Medicare Part A and Part B
- Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage (Medicare Part D)
- Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap)
- Medicare Advantage Plans (HMOs and PPOs)
- Long-term care insurance
- Medicare Savings Programs (QMB, SLMB and QI)
- Prescription drug assistance programs or drug discount cards offered by your state and pharmaceutical companies
- Medicaid and other insurance programs (including free or reduced-fee health care programs)
How do I get help?
If you would like to make an appointment with one of the SHIIP counselors based at Knoxville Hospital & Clinics’ business office in Knoxville, call 641-842-1488. Counselors are available on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., or other times as agreed.
Would you like to become a SHIIP volunteer counselor?
SHIIP volunteers assist thousands of Iowans each year to understand their Medicare benefits and options through individual counseling sessions, community education, special projects, and making connections in their communities.
Being a volunteer can be rewarding. For some, it’s the personal satisfaction of helping people navigate the complexity of Medicare. For others, it offers a chance to give something back to their community or provides an opportunity to develop new skills or build on existing experience and knowledge.
If you think you are interested, complete the application and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org, and someone will follow-up with you.