Our Imaging Services
The Imaging Department at Knoxville Hospital & Clinics (KHC) is dedicated to providing the highest-quality diagnostic images possible – with the highest level of patient safety.
Patients receive the latest in high-quality diagnostic and treatment imaging services at KHC with state-of-the-art equipment. Our registered technologists have received additional training for certification in each of the specialty areas they serve, such as mammography and ultrasound. They each play a distinct role in helping patients through their procedures. We also provide diagnostic images and reports for physicians, so that patients can receive the appropriate treatment.
Services offered include:
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan, using the industry-leading Aquilion™ PRIME 40-slice system featuring automated radiation dose reduction capabilities to improve patient safety and increase quality of care. This new system was installed in April 2017.
- Diagnostic radiology
- Diagnostic ultrasound, including vascular imaging
- Digital mammography
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Low-dose CT scan (LDCT), used to look for early signs of lung cancer. The test is intended for people ages 55 to 74 who are current smokers or smokers who have quit in the past 15 years; and have at least a 30 pack-year smoking history (i.e., smoked 2 packs per day for 15 years or smoked 1 pack per day for 30 years).
- Magnetic resonance (MR) imaging, using the Vantage Titan from Toshiba. The new “open-bore” of the 1.5T Vantage Titan MR system provides a 35% increase in imaging area, resulting in a significantly enhanced patient experience. The system is a dramatic improvement over traditional open-bore MR systems, as it offers the largest and widest bore available. Seventy percent of studies can be performed feet first, with the patient’s head comfortably lying outside of the opening, which creates a better imaging experience for all patients, especially those with claustrophobia.
- Nuclear medicine (learn more about these services)
Our Imaging Partner
KHC’s imaging services are provided in partnership with Diagnostic Imaging Associates (DIA) of Des Moines. DIA’s board-certified and fellowship-trained sub-specialized radiologists consult with referring medical providers on all radiology examinations, expediting the patient’s diagnosis and treatment. DIA provides 24-7 coverage, 365 days a year by a DIA radiologist. The average turnaround time from exam completion to dictation is 70 minutes, emergent studies are performed in less than 30 minutes. DIA reads approximately 420,000 studies annually.
For more information, please call Michelle Irwin, Imaging Department Director, at 641-842-1466.