The Campaign to Renovate and Expand Knoxville Hospital & Clinics
Health Care You Need, Close to Home
The Building on Strength Campaign is not just about expanding the hospital, it is about building our community. It will equip our hospital to meet the health care needs of the community today and also anticipates the needs of tomorrow, ensuring Knoxville and the surrounding areas will continue to attract families and businesses to the area. The campaign will focus on adding a surgical suite, clinic space, and infusion center, as well as renovating the emergency department.
Emergency Department Renovation
- The Knoxville Hospital Emergency Department sees more than 5,600 patient visits per year (over 15/day).
- More private rooms are necessary, especially for patients with mental health needs who cannot be transferred out of the ER as quickly because of a lack of long-term care options.
- Mental health visits account for 5-6% of total Emergency Room visits at KHC. The average wait for a transfer of these patients in FY20 increased by 31% to 22 hours, an average of 5.2 hours longer.
Emergency department renovations will:
- Add additional private rooms with attached restrooms
- Construct new decontamination room
- Provide additional staff workspace to enhance workflow and efficiency
- Increase staff visibility
- Enhance safety measures to ensure those experiencing mental health issues cannot harm themselves or others
Surgical Services Expansion
By adding an additional operating room to the current surgical suite, KHC will be able to increase the number and types of surgeries that can be performed in Knoxville. The new room will meet the size and safety requirements needed to offer more complex surgical procedures including those in the areas of orthopaedics, urology, and ENT. The ability to perform more procedures closer to home eliminates travel and transport for patients and their families. It also means patients are able to work with doctors, nurses, and staff that they know and trust.
Surgical Services Expansion Includes:
- An additional, larger operating room
- Increased number of pre-procedure rooms
- New recovery room
- Added staff workspace, creating a safer and more efficient environment
Knoxville Hospital & Clinics has seen recent success in recruiting and retaining visiting specialists to KHC. As patients build relationships and trust with these providers, demand for services has grown. Providing additional clinic space will allow KHC to expand the number of specialists and services provided in Knoxville.
The expanded clinic will improve the safety, security,care experience and flow for KHC patients and guests. In addition, it will allow KHC to accommodate:
- 16 family providers
- 24 visiting specialists
Time is a valued commodity that we all cherish. Having modern, first-class cancer treatments close to home will allow patients to focus on their health and return some of the most precious hours that they and their loved ones would spend traveling to facilities hours away.
The new Infusion Center will provide:
- Private treatment spaces
- 13 treatment chairs with room for “loved one” support
- New state-of-the-art technology and equipment
- Modern facility overlooking a scenic view of the pond and portion of the Bessie Spaur Butterfly Garden
Inquiries / Other Ways to Give
There are a variety of ways to support the Building on Strength campaign, including contributions of appreciated securities and IRA distributions. To learn more, contact Kevin Stittsworth at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (641) 842-1485.
Contributions can also be mailed to: KHC Foundation, attn: Kevin Stittsworth, 1002 S. Lincoln, Knoxville IA 50138.